How do I find the right doctor?
Which doctor you go to is up to you. Usually, the first step is to visit your family doctor. If they cannot help you directly, they will refer you to the appropriate specialist.
To help you find a doctor, you can visit online city portals like the “Arztsuche” of the City of Braunschweig (“Find a Doctor” portal for the City of Braunschweig) or online district portals such as the “Arztauskunft” of the Kassenärztliche Vereinigung Niedersachsen (“Doctors Information” portal of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians for Lower Saxony).
In medical emergencies (serious injuries, illnesses and cases of poisoning) call the emergency services immediately.
Emergency phone number: 112
The number requires no area code and is free of charge from a landline or mobile phone. It’s important you tell the control room the following details:
- Who you are
- Where you are (e.g. address, location)
- What’s happened (e.g. accidents involving burns, fractures, unconscious people)
- How many people have been injured or taken ill
- Wait for any further questions the person in the control room might have. Never put the phone down before the control room tells you to.
An ambulance will then be sent to you as quickly as possible.
In emergencies, you can also go straight to a hospital’s accident and emergency department.
On-call doctors - 116 117
On-call doctors provide care when doctors’ surgeries are closed (at night, at the weekend, on public holidays).
On-call doctors will come to your aid in the following three circumstances:
- Health complaints occur when doctors’ surgeries are closed, for example, at the weekend on or during a public holiday.
- The complaints must normally require patients to consult a doctor during surgery opening times.
- And for medical reasons, treatment can’t wait until the next day.
You can obtain prescription drugs, OTC medications and other medical supplies from the pharmacy. You need a prescription from your doctor to get prescription drugs.
The pharmacy staff can advise you and give you information about the ingredients, mode of action, possible risks and side effects of medical products.
In the evenings, on Sundays and on bank holidays, there is always an emergency pharmacy open. To help you find a pharmacy, you can visit online city portals like City of Braunschweig and City of Wolfsburg or district portals such as Helmstedt district.