Who needs recognition of their profession?

Anyone with a foreign qualification, e.g. completed foreign vocational training or a foreign university degree, should have it recognised in Germany if they want to work here.

As well as increasing their chances on the German labour market, it will also help them secure an appropriate salary. Furthermore, there are “regulated professions” in Germany and in order to practice these professions, recognition of the corresponding qualifications is essential.

Is my profession regulated?

You can check the European Union’s online database for regulated professions to find out whether your profession is one of the regulated professions in Germany.

How can I get my qualification recognised?

Depending on the profession, there are various institutions that can offer this recognition, including, for example, the respective Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Chamber of Crafts or professional association. Check the Federal Ministry of Education and Research’s Recognition Finder to find the right institution for you.

How long does the procedure take and how much does it cost?

Duration of procedure:

approx. 3 months


this information is provided by the respective institution (Chamber of Industry and Commerce, Chamber of Crafts or professional association)

What documents do I need in order to have my qualification recognised?

  • Application form from the relevant institution responsible for the recognition
  • Valid passport or ID card
  • Professional or academic qualifications (certified copies, German translation)
  • Details of the content and duration of the education/training undertaken (certified copies, German translation)
  • Employer references (certified copies, German translation)
  • Other certificates of competence or training certificates (certified copies, German translation)
  • CV (German)
  • Evidence of your desire to work in Germany (e.g. application for an entry visa for employment purposes, contact with potential employers). This does not apply to EU citizens or citizens of Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland!

Where to find relevant information on the German labour-market and recognition?